[HOT] Thank you from MSF!

John Whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 6 11:29:45 UTC 2019

There is another wiki guide

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highway_Tag_Africa

both get updated from time to time.  As a general rule of thumb I tag
highways between settlements as unclassified not track, I leave it to
the local mappers to say if it is a higher classification.  Occasionally
I'll tag as high as tertiary. Normally I leave the tags alone but have
been known to retag motorways between two small settlements as unclassified.

I think step one is to get something mapped.  Step two is correct it and
with lots of new mappers with different ideas we'll always see some
problems.

Cheerio John

Frans Schutz wrote on 2019-04-06 6:27 AM:
> Hello Ralf
>
> you pinpoint to a situation which is not always clear.
> First of all. we ty to keep ourselves to the East African Highway
> tagging wiki
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/East_Africa_Tagging_Guidelines
>
> Different mappers judge different how to tag a highway. Out of my own
> experience lots of mappers (and validators) struggle with how to tag a
> highway.  Looking to the importance, the routing, and the width of the
> highway, which is hard to measure from a satellite image, we have to
> decide. A big number of new mappers are joining us and have different
> ideas (nor no idea at all) how to tag a highway. I've seen taggings as
> secondary highway as a connection to 2 hamlets and so on. So we try to
> tag as good as possible, but often it is a (calculated)guess which tag
> is relevant. Take also in account that there is a huge time pressure
> on these disaster mapping projects, so sometimes you accept the
> tagging as they were made. When there is no time pressure you can take
> a look to each highway and decide.
> I hope you get an understanding how we have to deal with this subject.
> Best regards
> Frans Schutz
> Validator
>

> Op 5-4-2019 om 20:10 schreef Ralf Bernhardt:
>> Interesting when compared to the openstreetmap data.
>>
>> There are many POIs I would like to see on Openstreetmap too, also
>> boundarys and place names.
>>
>> I also noticed a different tagging scheme: Car, Moto and Foot. I would
>> guess that Roads not passable for a car but by foot and moto should be
>> highway=path in OSM.
>>
>> But most of them are still tagged as unclassified or residential. Is
>> there a reason for that or will you change them later?

Sent from Postbox