[HOT] #ValidationFriday - June 7

Matthew Gibb mjngibb at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 12:06:15 UTC 2019

Hi Jean-Marc,

Thanks for your thoughts on the subject.

I agree with:

> the further upstream the quality assurance, the cheaper it is. I feel
that an onboarding environment (both technical and social) that glorifies
quality rather than quantity might be a step in that direction.

There are a whole host of steps that can and are being taken: from improved
project manager onboarding, ensuring validation plans like you mentioned,
and improvements to the tasking manager.

To your point, I agree that feedback to a mapper on a project that hasn't
been touched in a year will have no impact on a new (at that point) mapper
who hasn't seen it, but if there happened to be lower quality data there,
there's still a benefit to making sure it's addressed and improved.

I think most would agree that there's not a one-size-fits-all solution,
encouraging some more mappers to take a crack at validation if they haven't
before is a piece of the puzzle though.

Thanks for joining the conversation.

Matt

On Fri, Jun 7, 2019 at 5:27 AM Jean-Marc Liotier <jm at liotier.org> wrote:

> On 2019-06-07 04:52, Matthew Gibb wrote:
>
> > - Validate! Simply find a project and dive in!
>
> While http://www.missingmaps.org/validate/ and
>
> http://www.missingmaps.org/assets/downloads/MissingMaps_validation_josm_en.pdf
> offer practical instructions on how to begin about the validation
> business, I feel a gap in guidance on what happens after invalidation. The
> advice about how to express constructive criticism in comments is a good
> start, but then what ? Even the Organised Editing guidelines only mention
> "_plans for a "post-event clean up" to validate edits,
> especially if the activity introduces new contributors to
> OpenStreetMap_" but omit details.
>
> The contributor is an ephemeral drive-by account set for a mapathon, the
> contributor isn't aware of his Openstreeetmap inbox, the contributor
> doesn't care that much about quality, the contributor understands that his
> changeset doesn't satisfy quality expectations but has no idea how to
> proceed... There are many reasons but the common result is that a
> validation comment will lead to no action at all: most contributors of bad
> data do not clean-up after themselves.
>
> Some projects, such as
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Organised_Editing/Activities/Trains_of_Botswana_mapathon
> have clear plans: _"A few days after the event, the core team will look at
> the common QA tools (OSMI, Osmose, Keepright) to repair anything that
> might have slipped through the cracks_" - but foisting janitorial
> responsibilities upon experts doesn't scale: as much as some enjoy
> strolling in the garden and pulling the occasional weed, it is not a
> popular hobby. Worse, those rare resources spent correcting bad data may
> easily make the net value negative.
>
> I do not have a solution, but I wish to stress one observation: the
> further upstream the quality assurance, the cheaper it is. I feel that an
> onboarding environment (both technical and social) that glorifies quality
> rather than quantity might be a step in that

*Matthew Gibb*
mjngibb at gmail.com
(518) 791-8505