[HOT] Tasking Manager 4 - Development update, calls to action, and roll-out plan

Felix Delattre felix.delattre at hotosm.org
Tue Oct 1 14:22:34 UTC 2019

Dear HOT community,

Recently, a lot has been talked about the new Tasking Manager and the
redesign we are currently implementing. I invite you to have a look at our TM
talk from State of the Map 2019
<https://media.ccc.de/v/sotm2019-1319-tales-from-the-tasking-manager>, if
you want to know more.

This email is to share with you an update of the development progress and
an expected timeline for the roll-out. A lot of people depend on that and
we want to make sure you can plan and you are aware of each of the steps.
We want you to verify and support us to make the transition to Tasking
Manager 4 a smooth experience for everybody.

All ongoing work is being discussed in our two working groups, and we
encourage you to join if you want participate in driving the direction of
the Tasking Manager:

- User working group <https://bit.ly/tm-user-group>
- Developer working group
<https://github.com/hotosm/tasking-manager/blob/develop/docs/working-group.md>

This is our *roll-out plan for TM4:*

*1. Beginning of November 2019: *We plan to have the new Tasking Manager
version 4 available for testing on a temporary instance: tm4.hotosm.org

* This opens an intensive testing phase of three weeks, to which all
people, organizations, developers that rely on the Tasking Manager are
invited to test the new version, make sure everything works well, give
input on changes that might effect the workflow. Please sign-up to this
list if you want to take part in the Tasking Manager 4 testing and
feedback: http://bit.ly/tm4-testing

* During these three weeks we also want to activate local HOT and OSM
communities to contribute with language translations. So far we've reached
out to some groups, and if you want to support us with translation, please
sign-up here: https://bit.ly/tm4-internationalisation

* It is also the time that documentation of the new version can start, as
only smaller things are expected to change. We are coordinating with
LearnOSM and ask everybody who wants to help out or maintains Tasking
Manager documentation anywhere else to sign-up and get in contact with us:
https://bit.ly/tm4-documentation

*2. After three weeks:*
* The development will take an additional couple of weeks to finish up
issues found during testing and incorporate the feedback obtained from
everybody.

* Work for documentation and translation uses these two weeks to finish.
The phase for creating documentation and translation is going to be a total
of five weeks.

*3. After five weeks:* One week of an additional round of last testing for
confirmation that everything works as expected for everybody involved.
Allows testing together with documentation and in different languages.

*4. After six weeks:* Release and deployment of the new Tasking Manager on
tasks.hotosm.org (and we will shut down the temporary testing instance on
tm4.hotosm.org)

Please feel free to get in contact directly in case you have any questions,
concerns or you want to collaborate more closely.

Many thanks for being part of this next step of our all Tasking Manager!
Best,
Felix

--

*Felix Delattre*