[HOT] Open Defecation Area proposal

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 00:49:11 UTC 2019

I have raise this on the OSM tagging list. I have summarised the

On 08/09/19 21:04, Bob Kerr via HOT wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It has been a very long time since I have posted to the mailing list.
> So please bear with me if I have landed in the wrong place.
>
> I was recently at a WASH conference (Water,Sanitation,hygiene). We
> were discussing Open Defecation, people going to the toilet in the
> open, specially in dense urban areas. Open defecation areas ODA are
> use by about 850 million people. If they each use 10 different areas a
> year then that is 8.5 billion areas.
This logic appears flawed.
Does each person have their own individual ODA? In a dense urban
environment I would expect there to be a lack of space for this.
However,if there are individual ODAs, are they to be mapped as a
collective rather than each individual one?

Past ODAs would need to remain mapped .. but not as ODAs as that implies
present use.
Not certain what to use here but the OSM life cycle tags may be of use.
'abandoned:open_defecation_area=yes' may be appropriate.
And it would be of use to add the tag 'end_date=*' to signify the date
of last use.

The above would reduce the number of areas to be mapped.

> The only way that this problem can start to be addressed is if we have
> a map of the areas. A paper map made by MapOSmatic with theses areas
> marked would be an excellent inspiration for local communities to deal
> with the problem and would act as competition between local towns and
> cities to be the cleanest
>
> I have checked with taginfo and there are a few examples on defecation
> but nothing officially proposed.

Taginfo indicates 53 uses of 'watsan:open_defecation_area=yes', no wiki.
Most use in Africa. just east nor east of Nairobi.

> My questions are. Do you think there would be support for this on the
> humanitarian tile map render and who should I talk to about adding it
> to the humanitarian style sheet if the proposal is accepted.

The 'watsan' appears to be irrelevant information. Possibly a source? Or
an operator?
In any case the tag would be better as 'open_defecation_area=yes'. If
required other information can be added as subtags, such as a comment, a
note etc.