[HOT] Open Defecation Area proposal

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 22:43:47 UTC 2019

On 10/09/19 19:32, Bob Kerr via HOT wrote:
> Thank you for posting to the tagging list, I have now joined that list too
>
> To clarify Open Defecation Areas ODA are usually piles of rubbish in
> unused spaces, they can be very large like a rubbish pit or small like
> an abandoned doorway. They regularly get cleared but start up again.
> Women are particularly vulnerable and sometimes use plastic bags to go
> in then throw the bags in an ODA. ODAs are an indication that a proper
> dry toilet is needed.

So, like a rubbish transfer station?

Wikipedia suggests "defecating outside (in the open environment) rather
than into a toilet. People may choose fields, bushes, forests, ditches,
streets, canals or other open space for defecation"

What I picture for the words "Open Defecation Area" is a farmers field
being used by the farmers family to defecate in. That I am aware of.

I am not aware of ODAs in urban situations. If the two are different
then possibly they should have two different tags?

The farmers field has no transfer, where as the urban one does?

DTA- Defecation Transfer Area??? These probably would not be moved as
frequently - similar to a rubbish bin?

If they move frequently or are difficult to map due to a tenancy to hide
them perhaps the area could be tagged as
'sanitation=defecation_transfer_area', compared to say
'sanitation=sewer', 'sanitation=septic_tank' or 'sanitation=night_soil' etc.

> A map would allow local communities to understand the problem in their
> area. The inspiration from the 1854 broad street pump
>
> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1854_Broad_Street_cholera_outbreak
>
> Is one of mappings greatest successes.
>
> WatSan probably stands for Water/Sanitation

I think that is redundant information then. The word 'defecation'
implies sanitation.