[HOT] Mapping Moranças in Guinea Bissau

Michael Montani michael.montani at un.org
Mon Feb 24 12:01:58 UTC 2020

Rather than use morança=yes, I would propose morança as value of the key 'place'. Furthermore, in Africa, usually place=* is assigned to a point, located in the center of a residential area, while is uncommon to find it as tag of that area.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:place
The simplest and most widespread way to map most place types is to position a node roughly at it's center (for a populated place having a central town hall, square or similar (far from all do), preferably there though).

In my opinion, I would be mapping them as residential areas and putting a point with place=isolated_dwellings or similar. If needed, I would add something like: description=Morança
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:description

By the way, I totally agree about security. This is by far the most important thing and should be the main concern while mapping those areas.

Buon lavoro,
Michael

Michael Montani
GIS Consultant, Data and Visualization Unit
Service for Geospatial Information and Telecommunications Technologies
United Nations Global Service Centre
United Nations Department of Operational Support

Brindisi  | Phone: +39 0831 056985 | Mobile: +39 3297193455 | Intermission: 158 6985 |
E-mail: michael.montani at un.org<mailto:mail at un.org>

[cid:part4.54241C7A.EC779C46 at un.org]