[HOT] COVID-19, what the HOT community is doing, and how you can help

Tyler Radford tyler.radford at hotosm.org
Fri Mar 27 20:34:33 UTC 2020

Dear HOT Community,

This has been a tough couple of weeks for many of us. Some in our HOT
community have been affected by sickness of a friend or family member.
Almost all of us have been affected by restrictions in movement, additional
family or child care responsibilities, or loss of a job or livelihood.

I have been busy working with our managers to ensure our staff are safe,
healthy and can continue working remotely where possible. HOT's staff team
https://www.hotosm.org/staff/ is spread across 19 countries, so this has
taken quite some effort, rapid analysis, and policy changes.  Most HOT
staff including in country offices are now working remotely. This has only
been possible because of the flexibility of our staff, in particular Global
Operations Manager, Rachel VanNice, and Programs Director Paul Uithol. In
addition, our donors have been working with us to adjust project timelines.
Thankfully, we do not expect any COVID-19 related reductions to staff
positions at this time.

All the while, the HOT community has been identifying ways to best support
the response. So many community members have emailed to offer support and
help during these difficult times. We've published some thoughts on ways to
do that on our COVID-19 page:
https://www.hotosm.org/projects/hot-covid-19-response/
There are now COVID-19 mapping tasks on the HOT Tasking Manager in support
of response efforts in Colombia and Peru: https://tasks.hotosm.org/

These projects are a great way to start - and we are actively seeking other
data needs at the national or local level where our global community can
help (please get in touch if you are aware of requests from a local
response effort). We are actively raising funds for emergency microgrants
from individuals and corporate partners. We hope to be able to get funds to
communities who need it to address COVID-19 related challenges locally.

The HOT community has always come together in times of crisis, so let's use
this as another opportunity to do just that.

Take good care,
Tyler
*Tyler Radford*
Executive Director