[HOT] Izmir Earthquake, Cyclones, Mapping Needed!

Russell Deffner russell.deffner at hotosm.org
Sat Oct 31 05:02:48 UTC 2020

Dear HOT Community,

I am emailing to ask for your assistance mapping Izmir, Turkey. Yesterday,
October 30th, a magnitude 7.0 earthquake struck the region encompassing
south/southeast Greece and western Turkey with the epicenter being the city
of Izmir, home to about 4 million residents.

Initial reports are that human losses were minimal, which is good news.
However, buildings have collapsed in the city of Izmir and our partners in
Turkey, Yer Çizenler, will be visiting the sites to collect data today
(October 31st). So they could use your help mapping the priority areas on TM
Project #9717 <https://tasks.hotosm.org/projects/9717>

Cyclone Molave has also been wreaking havoc in the western pacific, causing
heavy rains and a major landslide in Vietnam. The area is not very heavily
populated, so our Project #9716 <https://tasks.hotosm.org/projects/9716>
was quickly mapped - although there is still some validation work to do.
Cyclone Goni is targeting the Philippines today and current forecasts place
it going directly over the capital of Manila tonight into tomorrow
(November 1st), the greater metropolis being home to about 13 million
residents. So stay tuned here, the Tasking manager, and/or our Slack (
Slack.hotosm.org to sign up) for further information as these situations
unfold.

Thank you for supporting the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team!
=Russ

*Russell Deffner*

*Disaster Response Coordinator+*
Russell.Deffner at hotosm.org