[HOT] JOSM "mini tasking manager" Plugin

Andrew Buck andrew.r.buck at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 03:25:03 UTC 2020

> > I would support being added directly to the TODO plugin as additional
> functionality.
> One other thing that should be changed in the TODO Plugin to make this
> work is that the current version expands the bbox of the object being
> zoomed to (one reason is that you never want to try to zoom to the bbox of
> a node), this would have to be changed so that the rectangles that have
> been created are zoomed to very close to exactly.

This is actually something I looked into changing a long time ago, like
many years ago.  Bear in mind that things may have changed since then but
when I looked into it last this was the situation...

When you select an object to work on via the Todo plugin it calls josm's
internal "select and zoom" function on the object.  That function decides
the zoom level to use, and as of the last time I looked there was no way to
specify how much buffer should be added around the bbox of the selected
object.  Over the years, the function seems to have changed to get a bit
"tighter" around the object, it used to leave a lot more buffer around it,
but it still leaves quite a bit.  Not sure if the api had changed to allow
the buffer size to be set by the caller, but that would be really nice.

Now if the plugin were using it's own drawing routines like we discussed
then all of this is moot since select and zoom only works on OSM objects
anyway, and we would just call pan and zoom ourselves as separate
functions, but just wanted to add a bit of background on the current
behavior of the plugin.

In any case the other plugin does already basically do what is desired
anyway, so it might not be worth messing with.

-AndrewBuck