[HOT] Mailing List Code of Conduct

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Tue Sep 29 16:20:35 UTC 2020

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 7:45 AM Can Unen <can.unen at hotosm.org> wrote:

> Hello everybody, I'm writing to carry a conversation in HOTOSM membership
> lists to here, hoping to kick-off a discussion and maybe reach a consensus.
>
> A couple of days ago Mikel had asked about the governing code of conduct
> for this mailing list, and the initial thought was to assume the HOT CoC
> <https://www.hotosm.org/code-of-conduct> should be it. But the thing is,
> this list is operated and maintained by OSMF, and the Community CoC Draft
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Community_Code_of_Conduct_(Draft)>
> and OSMF Communication Guidelines
> <https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/OSMF_Communication_Guidelines> seem
> to cover the mailing list as well, but they seem to be outdated, and
> unmaintained for some time.
>
> Do you think a CoC need to be adopted in the mailing list, and how?
>
> In such case, would a consensus in the list be sufficient for this, or
> should there be a decision from the OSMF board?

Can,
I'm on the US Chapter's CoC committee. The Chapter formally adopted a CoC
this year. US centric mailing list moderators were invited to opt in to
having their lists covered by the CoC. If you look at wiki [1] you can see
which lists are covered by a CoC with a link back to the CoC.

I would encourage HOT to do something similar. It does not need approval
from OSMF. Especially since OSMF only has etiquette guidelines with no
means to handle complaints.

Best,
Clifford

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mailing_lists