[HOT] [REQUEST] - Participation in AI Assisted Mapping Study (cross post)

Bo Percival bo.percival at hotosm.org
Thu Feb 11 09:28:09 UTC 2021

---

tldr; hot_tech is running and AI assisted mapping study

read: 5m | action: 5m

Call to action: please sign up to participate
<https://forms.gle/wVBzSFTgWpvHpX9k8> or share with your networks

best before: Feb 20

apologies: for the cross posting, trying to give everyone the opportunity.

---

Hi all!

Over the past few months HOT has been working in partnership with NESTA
Collective Intelligence grants and 510 at the Netherlands Red Cross to
implement an experiment to explore the impact of AI assistance on the
remote mapping of buildings.

The experiment is designed to compare the results of traditional remote
mapping workflows (editing in ID Editor) with emerging AI assisted
workflows (editing with RapID). To do this, we will be conducting mapping
experiments of two locations (Uganda and US), with two different levels of
mappers (beginner and advanced) using the two different remote mapping
workflows (RapID and ID). A more in-depth explanation of the experiment can
be found here >>
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1o8vmHMCPbu6O-1Ta4a9Yd6aOhX76xRxocxfVCyXpxPU/edit?usp=sharing>
.

To this end, we are looking to run four mapathons with > 50 people each, as
follows:

   1.

   Beginner Mapathon - Uganda data
   2.

   Beginner Mapathon - US data
   3.

   Advanced Mapathon - Uganda data
   4.

   Advanced Mapathon - US data

Each mapathon will be a total of two hours, with participants being
randomly assigned - prior to beginning mapping - to map building footprints
with either ID or RapID. Data will be gathered on the existence of map
features, completeness of mapped features and similarity of map features
when compared with an OSM reference dataset.

For the beginner mapathons we will be using convenience sampling from our
networks by generating a public call for participants. For the advanced
mapping, we will be looking for support from some of our country offices
who have advanced mapping teams and/or who are experienced with RapID.

A couple of specific asks, please email if:

   -

   You would like to be involved in any capacity (organising, recruiting,
   sharing, supporting, please shoot me an email)
   -

   You would like to support the mapathons specifically, that would be great
   - You would like to participate in the mapathons please please sign up
   to participate <https://forms.gle/wVBzSFTgWpvHpX9k8>

Thanks all, I hope everyone is safe and well and looking forward to
exploring this with you all soon.

Kindness,

bo

--
*Bo Percival*
Director of Technology Innovation
bo.percival at hotosm.org
@bopercival
CET online hours

*I'm sending this at a time that works for me, standing by for a time that
works for you.*

*Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team*
<https://www.facebook.com/hotosm> | donate <https://hotosm.org/donate>