[HOT] Disaster Services Update

Russell Deffner russell.deffner at hotosm.org
Sat Jan 2 06:19:12 UTC 2021

Dear humanitarian OpenStreetMap community,

Mappy New Year everyone!!! I hope everyone is ringing in 2021 as best they
can given the circumstances. I wanted to quickly update you on a few things:

   1. The situation in Croatia is definitely bad, in the last 30 days there
   have been ~200 earthquakes that were strong enough to be felt (source
   <https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/earthquakes/croatia.html>). This
   includes a handful or so over the last few days that have caused
   significant damage. However, the local OSM Croatia community is very active
   and much of the area impacted has already been significantly mapped. That
   said, there are some gaps and we have been working with some of the local
   leaders and determined that it was best for them to use their local
   instance of the OSM Tasking Manager
   <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tasking_Manager>. At this point
   they are not asking for assistance from the global OSM community.
   Communication is mostly happening on the HOT Slack #disaster-mapping
   channel but they also have many ways to contact them listed on the OSM
   Community Index <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Community_Index>.
   HOT is supporting the response by working to increase our automated OSM
   data exports to the Humanitarian Data eXchange
   <https://data.humdata.org/search?organization=hot&q=croatia&ext_page_size=25&sort=score%20desc%2C%20if(gt(last_modified%2Creview_date)%2Clast_modified%2Creview_date)%20desc>.
   Custom data exports can also be made on our Export Tool
   <https://export.hotosm.org>. Let us know if we can assist your
   organization with the gathering and usage of OSM data for disaster response
   and recovery by emailing activation.requests at hotosm.org
   2. I have also seen that the tagging proposal for vaccination centres is
   now open for voting, please head to
   https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Tag:healthcare%3Dvaccination_centre
   to participate!

Of course this is just the beginning of year, so stay tuned for more ways
to assist those in need!
=Russ

*Russell Deffner*

*Disaster Response Coordinator+*