[HOT] Trunks in Highway Tag Africa

Rafael Avila Coya ravilacoya at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 14:21:37 UTC 2021

Hi, Fernando:

Indeed, the highway=trunk tagging should be well defined in general, and
not only to Northern countries. And to keep the surface, smoothness and
width out of that definition as much as possible.

One example of confusion among users is this issue in Central African
Republic these days: [1]

One user changed some of the routes nationales of Centrafrique from
primary (that was the convention) to trunk, because s/he thinks that
this is the most correct as those axis are paved and have more traffic.
S/he changed specifically the axis Garoua-Boulaye <-> Bangui.

Moreover, if you check the English Highway Tag Africa wiki [2], it makes
references to the type of vehicles and orientative indications of the
width, whereas (at least) the French [3], the Spanish [4] and German
equivalents don't make such references, something I find more correct imho.

Cheers,

Rafael.

[1] https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/97503891
[2] EN Highway Tag Africa:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highway_Tag_Africa
[3] FR Highway Tag Africa:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/FR:Highway_Tag_Africa
[4] ES Highway Tag Africa:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/ES:Highway_Tag_Africa

O 25/01/21 ás 14:55, Fernando Trebien escribiu: