[HOT] Sharing the Problem User Escalation and Tasking Manager Project Gardening (Previously: How can I check validation status of specific HOT project?)

Arnalie Vicario arnalie.vicario at hotosm.org
Mon Oct 25 20:53:06 UTC 2021

Hello everyone,

In relation to this, I would like to share these 2 documents that the HOT
Quality Control And Assurance Working G
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team/Working_groups/Data_Quality_Control_and_Assurance>roup
(QC/A WG) has been working on for the past few months and is now shareable:

   - *Problem User Escalation*
   <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team/Working_groups/Data_Quality_Control_and_Assurance/Problem_User_Escalation>
which
   defines the steps in escalating data quality problems encountered with
   users (mappers/validators). Guidance on escalating users include contacting
   the mapper, project organization and/or project managers, QC/A WG, and so
   on..
   - *Tasking Manager Project Gardening*
   <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team/Working_groups/Data_Quality_Control_and_Assurance/Tasking_Manager_Project_Gardening>
which
   identifies the workflow for the administration of the Tasking Manager,
   specifically the oversight of projects. We are currently in Phase 1 of the
   Project.

We hope to include this soon in the website and/or Tasking Manager
documentation.

I would also like to invite you to join the *next QC/A WG meeting on 4
November at 18:00 UTC, post a message on the #quality_wg channel in HOTOSM
Slack <http://slack.hotosm.org>* *or email dataquality at hotosm.org
<dataquality at hotosm.org>* to discuss/raise any data quality concerns.

Thanks and have a great week!
=Arnalie

On Mon, Oct 25, 2021 at 2:30 AM Pete Masters via HOT <hot at openstreetmap.org>
wrote:

> Hi Pierre,
>
> I'm sorry but I'm not personally familiar with these specific projects
> (10852 or 3431).
>
> On the OEG wiki page for this, it says to contact Janet of the Tanzania
> Development Trust but, you're right, it isn't super helpful in indicating
> how to do that. I have chatted to Janet and her contact details can be
> found on their website <https://crowd2map.org/about-us/> [1
> <https://crowd2map.org/about-us/>] and Janet has also said she will
> update the OEG page so the contact details are clearer...
>
> I think she and the crowd2map team are best placed to speak to how useful
> the mapping is for their FGM prorammes and how they go about validating
> their projects - I don't think it's true to say that it does not contribute
> to spotting and correcting quality problems, but I know their team of
> validators are active and open to feedback.
>
> In case it's useful, here is a link to a webinar on data quality
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team/Working_groups/Community/Webinars#The_Importance_of_Data_Quality_in_Humanitarian_Mapping>
> [2
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team/Working_groups/Community/Webinars#The_Importance_of_Data_Quality_in_Humanitarian_Mapping>],
> organised by the community working group, in which Simon Wild (one of the
> crowd2map validators) was on the panel.
>
> I hope that helps...
>
> Pete
>
> [1] https://crowd2map.org/about-us/ <https://crowd2map.org/about-us/I>
> [2]
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team/Working_groups/Community/Webinars#The_Importance_of_Data_Quality_in_Humanitarian_Mapping
>
> On Sun, Oct 24, 2021 at 4:41 PM Pierre Béland <pierzenh at yahoo.fr> wrote:
>
>> Hi Pete,
>>
>> In the area reported by Mateusz, we observe various quality problems
>> starting in 2018 and not fixed yet.
>>
>> In the jan.2018 hotosm-project-3431 (#MissingMaps #OSMTanzania),  the
>> contour of the buildings block was traced with tag (building=yes) -
>> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/554273601. I think that a landuse tag
>> will be more appropriate.
>>
>> With this second TM Project - hotosm-project-10852
>> (#TanzaniaDevelopmentTrust #Tanzania #missingmaps), the outlines of the
>> long buildings that we observe on Bing imagery are not traced but we
>> observe that wat seems to be artefacts on top of these buildings were
>> traced as buildings. What's seem to be cars in a parking lot are also
>> traced as buildings. And finally, quality of tracing building outlines is
>> relatively bad.
>>
>> After two TM projects and two validations in 4 years, I dont see how
>> usefull is the mapping of this zone and how usefull is the validation
>> process. It does not contribute to spot and correct quality problems.
>>
>> Too often we see such projects and we have to question the coordination
> [...]

*Arnalie Vicario*
Online Community Engagement Lead
OSM / Telegram / Twitter: *@arnalielsewhere*
Whatsapp / Phone number: +63 936 327 4872
Timezone: UTC -06:00 (Mountain Time)
*Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team*
<https://www.facebook.com/hotosm> | donate <https://donate.hotosm.org/>