[Imports-us] Update for Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Elliott Plack elliott.plack at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 19:40:21 UTC 2013

Thomas,

This sounds like a great undertaking, and one that will be useful for the
community. I'm working on a Maryland State Park import and have been
reading through the wiki and reconsidering some tags. Have you looked into
the boundary=protected_area tag? Certainly, the boundary data for the park
is already in OSM, but there may be individual areas within the park that
are protected to varying degrees. I'm interested in the different
protect_class levels, and what they might mean for the NPS. You might be
able to add such areas to the map.

More:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:boundary%3Dprotected_area

Thanks,

Elliott

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 10:35 AM, Thomas Colson <thomas_colson at nps.gov>wrote:

> ** **
>
> Great Smoky Mountains National Park is planning to update its core base
> data. We have identified many inconsistencies in online location-based data
> which often results in hazardous navigation scenarios for park visitors
> (e.g. travel on a closed trail, wrong way on road, etc…) and plan to slowly
> migrate our latest data collection to the public domain. In addition, we
> are including many new Points of Interest and other man-made features not
> presently included in the park OSM footprint.****
>
> ** **
>
> Initial planning and announcement to the OSM community is here
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Great_Smoky_Mountains_National_Park****
>
> ** **

Elliott Plack
http://about.me/elliottp