[Imports-us] Update on TIGER realignment import

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 18:16:47 UTC 2013

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 1:49 PM, Eric Fischer <enf at pobox.com> wrote:
> Hi everybody. It's probably time for me to stop just talking about importing
> the TIGER realignment and actually do something.
>
> Last night I reran the program
> (https://github.com/ericfischer/osm-tiger-update) to generate .osc files for
> the entire realignable country. If anyone wants to take a look, I've started
> uploading them to http://trafficways.org/tiger/out/ but they add up to more
> than 4GB and will take a few more hours to finish copying from my slow home
> network.

I hate to ask for more than this- but could you give some kind of
mapping between geographic region and these osc filess?

> My questions are:
>
> 1. Is there still general agreement that it is a good idea to import
> realignments for places that have been neglected in OSM?

I think that's reasonable, but is there a proposal on the regular
imports list? And if so, how about a period to evaluate the files and
the script?

> 2. Is it OK for me to go ahead and start submitting some of these? (I'll
> make an import account.)

Since this is really going to depend on where, how about some kind of
tentative schedule?

> 3. Is there a test server where I should try submitting them first?

Sadly api06 doesn't have the OSM data, but I think that we should some
kind of testbed, not just for this, but for other imports aw well.

> 4. Is there an upload script I should be using instead of doing it from
> JOSM?

We have various scripts, because josm is great, but for very large
data, it can get "difficult".

- Serge