[Imports-us] Update on TIGER realignment import

Eric Fischer enf at pobox.com
Mon Aug 5 18:44:05 UTC 2013

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 11:16 AM, Serge Wroclawski <emacsen at gmail.com> wrote:

> I hate to ask for more than this- but could you give some kind of
> mapping between geographic region and these osc filess?

Sorry about that! I just added a county index at
http://trafficways.org/tiger/out/counties.html

> > My questions are:
> >
> > 1. Is there still general agreement that it is a good idea to import
> > realignments for places that have been neglected in OSM?
>
> I think that's reasonable, but is there a proposal on the regular
> imports list? And if so, how about a period to evaluate the files and
> the script?

Oh, sorry, I didn't know there was a separate proposal required for the
imports list. I'll look into that and write one. I am fine with whatever
additional period anyone wants to evaluate the tool and its output; I just
wanted to quit sitting on it myself.

> > 2. Is it OK for me to go ahead and start submitting some of these? (I'll
> > make an import account.)
>
> Since this is really going to depend on where, how about some kind of
> tentative schedule?

I'd really like to get some small test county in soon so that I can have
some confidence I am doing it right, but maybe start doing some bigger ones
next week if no one identifies any horrible flaws?

Eric