[Imports-us] Update on TIGER realignment import

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Tue Aug 6 03:42:25 UTC 2013

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 1:49 PM, Eric Fischer <enf at pobox.com> wrote:

> Hi everybody. It's probably time for me to stop just talking about
> importing the TIGER realignment and actually do something.
>
> Last night I reran the program (
> https://github.com/ericfischer/osm-tiger-update) to generate .osc files
> for the entire realignable country. If anyone wants to take a look, I've
> started uploading them to http://trafficways.org/tiger/out/ but they add
> up to more than 4GB and will take a few more hours to finish copying from
> my slow home network.

Looks quite good after checking a few places in Fairfax County, VA. I did
notice one oddity after merging it (
http://trafficways.org/tiger/out/51059-0000.osc) with current data, as two
nodes in a way cross over each other (JOSM screenshot
http://snag.gy/29CHO.jpg). Also, and probably related, is that one of the
ways doesn't seem to get updated, even though it and the constituent nodes
haven't been edited by anyone:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/8824221 (merge the above OSC file
with the area around this way)

If this happens with any regularity, it would be good to document this in
the wiki. Even with this small issue, it is on the whole a great
improvement.

-Josh