[Imports-us] A proposal for handling the tiger realignment

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Sat Aug 10 19:36:10 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 10:19 AM, Alex Barth <alex at mapbox.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 11:33 PM, Serge Wroclawski <emacsen at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> What that means is that we can create a metric of OSM activity in an
>> area, and by doing that, decide whether or not the area should have an
>> automated import process, or a manual review process.
>>

> Correct me if I'm wrong (eric fischer) - isn't that what the automated
> script inherently does by only touching nodes that haven't been touched by
> contributors?

Even in the best mapped areas, by luck, there are a few nodes that never
got moved (even tiger typewriter monkeys can occasionally place a node
correctly ).  Thus you'll see little splotches of new tiger 2010 data kinda
all over.

The proposal on the table is that, perhaps, well mapped regions should be
left alone.
In the remaining areas, the Tiger refresh could then be even
more aggressive, perhaps even adding new nodes and metadata.