[Imports-us] NJ Landuse import (NJ2002LULC)

Reiser, John J. Reiser at rowan.edu
Wed Aug 21 14:32:24 UTC 2013

Hello fellow mappers,

I'm the original importer of the NJ 2002 Land Use data. First, I would
like to say that I am against removing the data outright without a plan to
replace it. While the data was 7 years old at the time of import, it was
the most current, comprehensive land use data available for New Jersey. My
main reservation is that almost all of the original changesets have since
been touched and many of the source tags have been removed.

Background on my import: http://njgeo.org/2010/02/03/updating-osm-lu-data/
Metadata for one of the NJ LULC 2002 datasets:
http://nj.gov/dep/gis/digidownload/metadata/lulc02/w01lu02.htm
Salient points from the metadata:
* The data set will provide information for regulators, planners, and
others interested in LU/LC changes, and allow them to quantify those
changes over time using GIS. The use of the updated 2002 LU/LC and IS
layer in change analyses
studies will provide a means of monitoring "the health of the citizens
and ecosystems of New Jersey" through the use of diverse applications.
* Digital color infrared (CIR) orthophotography of New Jersey in State
Plane NAD83 Coordinates, U.S. Survey Feet. The digital orthophotography
was produced at a scale of 1:2400 (1"=200') with a 1 foot pixel
resolution.  Land use/land cover for 2002 was digitized directly from
2002 digital image files.

I would argue that any "simply wrong" areas are ones that have
significantly changed since March 2002. New Jersey provides the source CIR
2002 photography as a WMS, so you can bring it into JOSM to see how the
line work compares. Granted, I did simplify the polygons before converting
them to .OSM, but that shouldn't be the source of completely erroneous
areas. Serge, please direct me to the cemetery-as-school so that I can see
if that was corrected in the 2007 Land Use.

As Greg pointed out, the landuse=scrub is my fault. It should have been
natural=scrub. I must have gotten the landuse/natural tags mixed for that
land use. I've attached the table I used to translate the Level IV
Anderson codes to OSM tags.

I also recognize that the relations are way, way too large. When I
initially simplified and merged polygons, I was left with a "natural=wood"
polygon stretching from Raritan Bay to Delaware Bay with several thousand
interior rings. I used the major roadways of the state to break the
polygons into more manageable chunks, but this still produced polygons
that have 4,000-8,000 vertices (and thus at least 4 outer ways) to enclose
the area. I've been exploring ways to programatically reduce the size of
some of these wooded areas by splitting them further using tracks through
the wood or some other geometry.

Regarding updates, the 2007 Land Use is available:
http://nj.gov/dep/gis/lulc07shp.html and the 2012 Aerial Photography is
also available:
https://njgin.state.nj.us/NJ_NJGINExplorer/jviewer.jsp?pg=wms_instruct
The 2012 Land Use is not yet available but it is in process and the
estimated delivery date that I've received from our state GIO is mid-2014.
I would be more than happy to work with other interested mappers on the
2007 land use data and develop a plan to replace the existing 2002 data
with the 2012 once it is available.

Yours,
John

John Reiser