[Imports-us] NPS/GRSM Import: OSM file for review/comment

Thomas Colson thomas_colson at nps.gov
Tue Aug 27 12:27:37 UTC 2013

Answers are in-line:

1. A  long name was truncated. "Sugarlands Maintenace Yard Parking C".
a. Not seeing this..are you referring to the misspelling (fixed)?
2. All of the roads seem to have goods=no, and hgv=no. With a park this
large, it seems unlikely that trucks are not allowed in at all. Perhaps you
want to use access=destination instead?
a. All park entrances are signed with "No Commercial Vehicles", with the
exception of US 441 between Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. VERY strictly
enforced. Deliveries are made to one location in the park per written
exclusion solely for those operators, and roads are closed when construction
vehicles are operating. Even a tow truck coming to retrieve a
disabled/wrecked vehicle in the  middle of the park must receive permission
before entering the park. Realizing this will evoke some spirited responses,
I'll direct any questions to 36 CFR 9.50 - USE OF ROADS BY COMMERCIAL
VEHICLES. We have a pretty big challenge with commercial GPS/LBS providers
routing commercial vehicles through National Parks (shortest route!), and
are not experiencing a lot of success in convincing those providers to alter
their content.
3. The file is getting pretty large. I would not add anything else before
upload it.
a. A lot of the size is coming from the substantial "footprint" that got
downloaded into OSM due to the irregular shape of our boundary, areas in
which we did no editing. I'm hoping that denoding or simplifying the trails
alone will knock the size down, too. But, yes, no plans to add new objects
at this time.

- A  long name was truncated. "Sugarlands Maintenace Yard Parking C".
- All of the roads seem to have goods=no, and hgv=no. With a park this
large, it seems unlikely that trucks are not allowed in at all.
Perhaps you want to use access=destination instead?
- The file is getting pretty large. I would not add anything else before
upload it.

Otherwise, I did not see anything else to complain about.

Jason