[Imports-us] Union County Original Data and OSM files

Randal Hale rjhale at northrivergeographic.com
Mon Dec 9 00:41:05 UTC 2013

I ran a frequency on the original shapefile and started cleaning up
misspellings for the OSM conversion (the shapefile I provided was before
I started doing any corrections). I contacted Union County and alerted
them to the frequent spellings of commercial/residential and a few other
assorted oddities. I pulled churches and schools out of the original -
those needed an extra tag: amenity = place_of_worship and I think
amenity = school. I mean to have placed those up there and forgot
completely.

I plan on fixing any errors with buildings crosses buildings on a case
by case basis.

I ended up manually expanding a lot of the street tags - there are a few
I'm still not clear on. I've got an email into them to check.

One of the things I'm puzzled by (just from a mapping perspective) are
the houses with an address and those without. It would appear they are
still in the process of assigning addresses to their data. They provided
a 911 address file but it left me with more questions than answers -
I'll zip them an email to make doubly sure the address on the building
is correct. Some of their road data crosses county/state lines and I
think that ended up being incorrectly pushed into the building footprint
(i.e. the road originates in fanin county or in North Carolina).

I don't know how multiple addresses are handled but I will check with
them and get an answer.

I appreciate the help. I'm still a while from wanting to start an upload
- I want to clean up the base data before this starts.

Randy