[Imports-us] People ignoring NYC import pause, tasks done outstripping validation

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Dec 9 08:06:35 UTC 2013

Hi,

On 12/08/2013 01:18 PM, Paul Norman wrote:

> - Should we be pausing the import of new data to allow validation to
>   catch up? This gives an incentive to catch up validation, but would
>   it lead to people skimping on the validation?

I think that anyone completing more than a handful of tasks per day
should be asked to pause for their own health ;)

I don't want to appear telling the NYC community what to do, but if this
were an import in my city, I'd take it slow - if it takes a year then it
takes year, it's not like we're in a hurry. Value quality over quantity.
And instead of doing 2000 tasks myself, I'd invest the time in finding
20 local mappers (or local people whom I can make into mappers) willing
to do 100 tasks each.

Yes I know - certainly not easy, and probably even less so in the US
(hearing how CloudMade tried to "ambassador" people into mapping years
ago with limited success). But likely much more sustainable!

Bye
Frederik