[Imports-us] People ignoring NYC import pause, tasks done outstripping validation

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 17:35:57 UTC 2013

Ian,

>  Please stick to the facts, file bugs where you see them*, and stop using
overblown, unsubstantiated words. This pushes
> people away from our community and makes the people you're criticizing
defensive and ignore the issue at hand.

I have made a number of "bug reports" in the past, mainly in the tasking
manager, which is where I was asked to make them. Then, just two weeks ago,
we over half an hour discussing them on the Google Hangout, going over
individual examples. This is after hours of discussion offline in private
meetings. In addition, I've sent users emails, and chatted about them on
IRC. The problem is that the issues are addressed by each object, and there
are thousands of objects being uploaded per day.

I can appreciate that you don't see the reports and so it comes out of left
field, but for me it's been months of filing reports.

> * I realize that you view this problem as "systemic", but identifying and
reporting individual examples of the problem you
> view as systemic makes it easier to discuss with someone that might not
share your systemic viewpoint.

Doctor, there's a measles epidemic in the hospital... "Well, file a report
on each individual bump"

The problem is that you can look at these reports and say "Oh there's only
a few problems"- but that's a tiny amount of investigation and there's a
huge number of objects to look at. Worse, these are the same class of
problems that we saw two weeks ago, and a few weeks before that, and each
time I've been assured that:

1. The issues would be addressed
2. The problems from earlier would be cleaned up and no further import
would be done until they were.

Neither has happened.

But okay, specific examples... From a single task analysis yesterday:

>From http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/19235378

error #1 - way 249608151 should have a building next to it (it's clearly
missing)
error #2 - relation 3356192 has validation errors - there was another error
in that same task, but I don't remember the relation ID is

Here's a few from today. I'm looking at a single randomly selected task- no
cherry picking, completely random.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/245575165 - the geometry of this building
is kinda funky - not huge, but you'd see it if you looked at the building
against the imagery

Same here:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/245574437

http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/245574110 has a very funky address that
needs some kind of note about (or further investigation)

http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/245573723 - this building has a
range, but likely is actually a single address- same with
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/245573738

And next to them, http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/245573736 a building
with only a rear entrance?

None of these will cause a nuclear accident, but they're equally not
careful. This was just a few examples from two tasks, chosen randomly.

But Alex appears to want me to file bugs on each and every single one of
them- and that's simply untenable.

- Serge