[Imports-us] Seattle Import

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Sat Dec 14 06:50:48 UTC 2013

We are starting work on the next phase of importing addresses for the rest
of the (King) county. We plan to use the latest address data from the
county. Partly inspired by the work being done if NYC, the county is now
publishing an record id for use in future updates. We want to incorporate
this field into the import. But there doesn't seem to be a standardized tag
for this id. For example, GNIS is gnis:id, tiger has another scheme and I
believe NHD has another id.

Eric Fischer got me thinking when he was working on a tiger fix that we
need to retain this data for future updates, even if we don't know how to
do updates today. Rather than use kingcounty:id, shouldn't we have a
consistent method of identifying tags that may be needed in the future?
It's possible just using :id is sufficient. However, maybe something like
update:id, although that has problems as well.

Thoughts?

--
Clifford

OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch