[Imports-us] Seattle Import

Mike N niceman at att.net
Sat Dec 14 12:20:29 UTC 2013

On 12/14/2013 1:50 AM, Clifford Snow wrote:

> Eric Fischer got me thinking when he was working on a tiger fix that we
> need to retain this data for future updates, even if we don't know how
> to do updates today. Rather than use kingcounty:id, shouldn't we have a
> consistent method of identifying tags that may be needed in the future?
> It's possible just using :id is sufficient. However, maybe something
> like update:id, although that has problems as well.

Future updates must handle OSM mapper's edits:
   - A mapper adds a new building address to OSM before the next county
update.  This must be detected and handled by the import re-sync
conflation process without an ID.
   - A mapper removes a building address from OSM.  Re-import must
answer the question of whether the building was torn down, or vandalism
where the mapper wanted to decrease the visibility of a competing business.

I don't see the need for any database ID to link the data for future
updates since it won't simplify that process.