[Imports-us] Final Riley county, KS address import files

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 07:02:52 GMT 2013

Hello again, US imports list.

After some excellent work by Paul, his addressmerge code [1] is ready
to be used on the Riley county addresses that I have available to me.
I have updated the Riley county imports page on the wiki [2] with some
new links to the final set of files. I will rerun addressmerge
immediately before uploading to make sure I pick up any changes to OSM
data made in the next few days but those files should be virtually
identical to what will be uploaded. Executive summary:
 - About 1,500 existing buildings will have address data added to them
 - A handful of existing address points that will be modified
 - A little over 17,000 new addresses will be added as nodes

After having reviewed the changes myself, there are a handful of
anomalies that I will have to deal with after the import. I don't
think there are any real code changes that could fix them since they
are the result of a combination of oddities in the source data and
what is already in OSM.

Probably the worst one is Gambino's Pizza in the city of Riley (search
for id:201526259 in JOSM while viewing the change file). The address
that is going to be merged onto the pizza place actually belongs to
the bank just north of it. A combination of the buildings being
shifted slightly too far to the north (roof vs foundation offset in
imagery) and the address node in the county data being slightly too
far to the south result in the node being 1.2 meters inside of the
pizza place so addressmerge is merging it to the building outline. I
think I could be a little stricter with the merging parameters but
then it might start to affect other building merges negatively.

Another one is way 168353300 in the change file. Technically, the
address belongs to the whole property and not that specific building.
If you look at the existing OSM data in the area you will see 3 other
buildings very near to that one. I believe this is a self storage
place so those 4 long buildings all belong together.

There is one node in the new additions file. I don't think there is a
good way to identify it since JOSM doesn't seem to let you search for
negative IDs. The address is 1214 Moro Street. There are already two
address nodes with 1214 B and 1214 C inside of that building but the
county data doesn't seem to deal with Bs and Cs. So it will just get
imported as a new node that kind of duplicates what is already there.
I will take another look at that building next time I am in the area
and determine what to do with it. The imported node will likely end up
being deleted.

There is one street where the street name that I mapped from the sign
does not have a space in it but the county address data does
("Woodgreen Court" vs "Wood Green Court") so those will be duplicates.

Comments? Within the next few days I will post another message to the
general imports list and the talk-us list before actually doing the
import with a new dedicated imports account I have set up.

Toby

[1] https://github.com/pnorman/addressmerge
[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Kansas/Riley_County#Addresses