[Imports-us] Tracking imports

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 15:12:26 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 10:53 AM, Thomas Colson <thomas_colson at nps.gov> wrote:
> Just a thought, Bugzilla would be PERFECT for a ticket-tracking solution,

Bugzilla is heavily optimized as a bug tracking system, and to put it
as mildly as I can, it does a very poor job as a ticket tracking
system.

In a previous job, I was asked to replace our ticket tracking system
with Bugzilla in order to integrate the system administration tasks
(which I was doing) with the developer tasks, and I can't
overemphasize what a mess it became.

Bugzilla makes sense for the project it was created for- for tracking
large, multi-plafform, multi-concurent, multi-component projects.

But the problem was that the model did not fit the kind of work I was
doing. Not only did that create problems for users entering in "bugs",
but it made problems for me filtering through user requests.

Furthermore, the lifecycle of a bug report is quite different than the
lifecycle of a sys-admin type request.

That meant that "bugs" went into odd states, and either stayed there,
or worse, ticket would re-open, either by the user, or related to
another activity.

But trying to apply it to a small project is a mess, and trying to
apply it to something it's not designed for turns into a huge
nightmare.

- Serge