[Imports-us] Tracking imports

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 12:20:37 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 5:30 PM, Jason Remillard
<remillard.jason at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Serge,
>
> I don't understand where you are trying to go here?

That's a great question. The fundamental answer is "Get a hold on the
import situation. Find out what imports are out there, which we know
about, which we don't, what's going on?"

That means what's going on with the imports that we're involved in,
but also those which we're not involved in.

> Why do we care about older imports that are completed and are
> basically "good enough".

For undocumented imports, we need to determine information about them.
There are many imports which are complete, and aright, aside from
being undocumented.

> It seems like only the ongoing imports (which
> should already have wiki pages) and the older imports that we are
> thinking about reverting are interesting? There are a many good enough
> imports, that are what they are.

I also neglected to mention "rejected imports" - that is data sets
which were proposed for import

> If you have a list of imports that you would like to kill via the DWG
> because of a license problems, or just because the data is crappy,
> perhaps just a single new wiki page keeping track of them would do it.

Just to clarify, I just want to gather information for now.

The problem with the current situation is I don't think the DWG has
the resources to do this kind of investigation- even if we gave them a
list. And (maybe this is me) but I think of the DWG actions as a sort
of last resort.

The problem with the wiki is that the wiki is a mess. It often feels
like you're just dumping information into a chasm. Maybe that's the
best we can do, but I think we could do better.

> Or if you really want to go crazy, make new import category on the
> wiki page [Sucky Import], and make import pages for the old imports.

I can't determine what's a good import vs not-good-import, not without
more information.

> Of coarse for fun we can start sticking the new category tag on each
> other import wiki pages too :-)  Kind of like a badge of shame for an
> import. It would be tons of fun...

I'm not trying to shame anyone either. I'm just trying to find a way
to collaboratively share information.

> How many are you talking about, can't be more than 10/20 in the US
> that might need to be

I'm guessing this sentence is from a draft, but my estimate in the US
is that there are going to be at least 50 imports.

- Serge