[Imports-us] [Talk-us] Releasing my data into Public Domain

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Thu Jul 18 18:58:58 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 2:40 PM, Paul Norman <penorman at mac.com> wrote:

> Neither of those is public domain. I know for individuals there can be
> issues releasing data into the public domain, but if a government’s lawyers
> feel their data is public domain, I generally just take them at their word.
>
> If the data is public domain then a simple statement that the data is
> public domain should be enough. With PD you’re not actually licensing the
> data, you’re stating that it’s not covered by copyright and there aren’t
> any exclusive rights that need licensing.

Sadly it's not that simple. Public domain can only be works of the US
federal government (for use within the US specifically), or where copyright
has expired, and I'm sure a few other edge cases. Whether you like it or
not, in the US, unless you're an employee of the US federal government, you
can't release works into the public domain. That's what CC0 is for. Read
more here:
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/categories.html#PublicDomainSoftware
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_domain_software

-Josh