[Imports-us] USPS mailbox locations database

Elliott Plack elliott.plack at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 15:30:07 UTC 2013

What is the status of this?

I've taken a look at some of the locations of mailboxes in that data and
the ones I've seen tend to be poorly geocoded, to the center of
intersections for instance. This can take a lot of groundtruthing to
verify, as they are pretty hard to spot conclusively on Bing.

I like the idea of having this data on OSM, but how accurate is the data?

Also, how up to date would it be. The USPS removes under-performing
mailboxes regularly, but I wonder if they are in datasets, especially
FOIA'd ones?

Elliott

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 2:38 AM, Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2 at obviously.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 9, 2013 at 4:44 AM, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Jun 8, 2013 at 11:49 PM, Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2 at obviously.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >>  The name of the litigant is something I was not able to determine.
> >

> > Carlson v. USPS, 504 F.3d 1123 (9th Circuit Court of Appeals)
>
> Here's more:
>
> Brian Sheehan <brian at postalnews.com>
> Bryce- no, we didn't pull the content deliberately. It was one of a
> large number of posts from that time period that got trashed in a
> database crash a couple of years ago. I did find the text in the
> archives, and have reposted it:
>
> http://postalnews.com/postalnewsblog/2007/10/16/usps-loses-appeal-of-foia-case/
>
> NINTH CIRCUIT
> DOUGLAS FRED CARLSON