[Imports-us] USPS mailbox locations database

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Mon Jun 17 22:09:44 UTC 2013

On 6/17/13 5:54 PM, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> Based on a bicycle survey of the nearest 50 post boxes to my particular
> home location, I found a 100% match on
> the ground to the USPS data in both general location and pickup hours.  OSM
> had far better positions, but was missing 25% of the postboxes completely

another mapper indicated a different opinion of the data quality. i suggest
finding a path to a larger sample size over a broader geographic area.
TIGER 2005 is much better in some places than others; data quality
depends a lot on the local personnel doing the work. your neighborhood
may not accurately reflect data quality in, say, Flagstaff AZ or anywhere
in WV.

richard