[Imports-us] USPS mailbox locations database

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 00:16:04 UTC 2013

I just did a spot check of Manhattan, KS. As mentioned previously, the
positioning is not terribly accurate. Definitely a geocoding job. Boxes
that are in the middle of a parking lot of a shopping area or even inside
of a supermarket show up immediately next to roads which puts them off by
several hundred feet sometimes. Because of this uncertainty I'm not sure if
the data set might also be out of date. They show one box in an old
location. It was moved due to construction last year but I'm guessing the
official address didn't change even though it is now adjacent to a
different named road but still in the same shopping area.

Pickup times is definitely an interesting thing to talk about. I have never
bothered to map this information even when I've mapped the box. I'm
guessing most people don't. It would actually be great if we could offer
the USPS a two way street. Improve their positional accuracy and get their
metadata. I'm guessing that wouldn't be a simple proposition with licensing
and such though...

Toby