[Imports-us] USPS mailbox locations database

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Tue Jun 18 00:18:23 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 6:01 PM, Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2 at obviously.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 2:44 PM, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 4:12 PM, Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2 at obviously.com>wrote:
>>
>>> The data quality can be estimated by doing spot checks on
>>> https://www.usps.com/
>>>

>> Is spot checking the data quality within the terms of service?
>>

> A ground survey does not "reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit,
> distribute or publicly display material".

"The information and images presented here may not under any circumstances
be reproduced or used without prior written permission." (or used)

"Users may view and download material from this site only for the following
purposes:" (view and download)

I mean, if we're going to take such a ridiculous terms of service
seriously...

Even if I published the summary results in a blog or newspaper it would be
> very hard to argue that's not a fair use (a citizen checking on a
> government sponsored corporation).

Fair use is about copyright, not terms of service.  In terms of copyright,
the information isn't.

> Awesomely, the USPS terms don't allow me to use the site for 'trade or
> other commercial purposes'.  Hopefully the bulk mailers notice that clause
> and stop using USPS ;-).  But in the case of a ground survey to validate
> data, there is no commercial use.

Importing the information into OSM isn't commercial use either.

"personal, non-commercial home use".  I guess as long as you don't do the
ground survey from work, you're okay :).

400 queries...  We wouldn't even have to automate that.