[Imports-us] Intent to Revert: Changeset 14248420

Elliott Plack elliott.plack at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 03:34:21 UTC 2013

As some of you know, I'm a big 'bus' guy on OSM. I've not imported (or
tried to) Maryland MTA bus stops for the reason Serge mentions in point 2.
I wasn't able to be at the meeting tonight, so perhaps can you fill us in
in number 3 Serge?

Did you chat with the user? Wondering their thoughts.

By the way, check out Changeset:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/16433011 ... Wow! That's like
basically all the work I've done in Baltimore over several months in one
big changeset. Incredible! I wonder how they kept the data current while
working on this. It had to have taken a long time if done by hand.

Back on topic: If the user can't produce a reply for number 1, then I'd say
revert.

-Elliott

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 11:24 PM, Serge Wroclawski <emacsen at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> There was an import done of MTA bus stops in New York City in this
> changeset:
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/14248420
>
> There are a number of problems with this changeset:
>
> 1. The data license on MTA datasets does not allow for OSM AFAICT
> 2. The data is of low quality (bus data in the middle of the streets)
> 3. Bus data in general has problems in OSM, as discussed in tonight's
> meeting
> 4. This import has no wiki page
> 5. The author of the import is not local, and according to him, didn't
> do any data validation beforehand.
>
> I'll throw this to the talk-us group next, but I wanted to see if
> anyone had any objection to this changeset being reverted.
>
> - Serge

Elliott Plack
http://about.me/elliottp