[Imports-us] USNPS, Great Smoky Mountains Bulk Import In Progress

Thomas Colson thomas_colson at nps.gov
Sun May 19 19:54:53 UTC 2013

http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/imports-us/2013-April/000052.html
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-us/2013-April/010698.html

We feel we did our due diligence in informing the community of this import
in advance of the activity, including posting in the appropriate Wiki pages,
import-us, and talk-us. We got lots of feedback through the mailing list and
via direct email and reached out to some users that we identified were using
the data commercially. As we could not identify any "local community" Wiki
page or mailing list specifically relevant to the mountain region of east
TN/west NC, we reviewed item histories to see who the "power mappers" within
the park footprint were (and communicated with the one we did find), and
exchanged email with one of you directly regarding a component of our
proposed import, which lead to us dropping streams from our initial import.
For the most part, community feedback was incorporated in our planning where
we are legally allowed to do so, including use of a dedicated import
account.

If there is a formal path for approval of a proposed import, we'd love to
hear about it. This is a pilot project which will hopefully entice other
National Parks to do the same, and we plan on putting a lot of effort into
maintaining a Wiki page for NPS imports. If a NPS Park updating OSM data
results in this type of reaction, we'd like to get in front of it so the
next park doesn't get such a hostile response. The goal is to encourage park
GIS managers to be active participants in the OSM community, and hopefully
there will be many more NPS park imports hitting the "street".

As we plan on continuing with importing/updating the park footprint
throughout the summer, we look forward to a meaningful dialogue which allow
that process to move smoothly.