[Imports-us] USNPS, Great Smoky Mountains Bulk Import In Progress

Thomas Colson thomas_colson at nps.gov
Mon May 20 15:18:58 UTC 2013

Serge, the NPS OSM team (all 3 of us) think a conference call with some
representatives of the DWG and Import-US Committee might be in order, so we
can establish some agreement, especially in the area of tagging for NPS, as
that is a protocol we feel is critical in our contributions to OSM. This
would also allow us to showcase some of the draft products that our National
Office is developing using OSM data.  Nate and Mamata will be at SFO next
month, might be a good time to chat as well. The Wiki you see is intended
for this specific import, we're more interested in developing  a Wiki that
covers mapping in all NPS units, with emphasis on appropriate tagging and
data quality. Bear in mind that there are NPS units with differing levels of
GIS data availability, quality, and staff/volunteer resources to move data
to OSM. This leads to an opportunity to engage OSM mappers to map in parks,
using this hypothetical Wiki, which would cover things that wouldn't
necessarily be covered in the well-documented Urban-area mapping guidelines,
or...trail ratings for Germany.

We are unable to use Google Plus tools in the NPS, BTW.