[Imports-us] OSM US Import Document Draft

Jason Remillard remillard.jason at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 14:54:05 UTC 2013

Hi Carol

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 9:35 AM, Carol Kraemer
<cakraemer at northrivergeographic.com> wrote:
> Serge,
>
> Actually, let's approach this a different way. Your pamphlet is not inviting
> or welcoming anyone to do imports. Let me ask in a very straightforward
> manner. Does OSM want people outside of your current import group circle to
> do imports? Does OSM want the support of the GIS community to not only help
> with imports but supply its data? There is no wrong answer, only an honest
> one is required.

We probably have 100's of address imports to get coverage of the
entire US. So, yes we need people from outside the current group to do
imports.

I have been working on detailed documentation for doing imports. It is
about half way done (no address import docs)  but as far as I know is
the only place to get all of this information in once place.

https://github.com/jremillard/osm-import-toolkit/blob/master/README.md

The global import guidelines are OK. They need to be vague to cover
all of the situations and different community norms. I don't think it
needs major changes, but we do need something finished that is like
the link above to cover the nuts and bolt details.

To get back on topic, the webpage should be very simple. Saying we
want help, imports are OK, please attend one of the google talk
meeting before you start. We should probably update the global
guidelines to have a US only section that says the same thing.

Thanks
Jason.