[Imports-us] OSM US Import Document Draft

Alex Barth alex at mapbox.com
Mon Nov 4 15:13:19 UTC 2013

Top of the morning to everyone :-)

Carol - your work 100 % welcome.

The main issue is that OSM.org's import guidelines are not clear. They
don't state clearly what the expected etiquette is to procede with an
Import.

Start with a Google search and note how long it's going to take you to get
to a place where 'consult on imports at osm.org' or similar are mentioned. In
the middle of a novel-length document that says  'These guidelines are not
definitive - they are not laws' in its intro :p

https://www.google.com/search?q=import+openstreetmap

## Here's what we should do

The most important thing that is needed is to state clearly what's
expected. We can iterate and improve the rest of the documentation from
there. Here's what I propose for Import/ and Import/Guidelines:

http://piratepad.net/VtVLz2lGwC

We can then link to there from osm.us

Like the plan?

## Next actions

- Improve pirate pad text, make the text tight.
- Run this by imports@
- Update wiki