[Imports-us] OSM US Import Committee

Carol Kraemer cakraemer at northrivergeographic.com
Mon Nov 4 19:01:39 UTC 2013

Serge,

Of course, but I'm not sure how this is going to be received. Though I'm
definitely stirring things up right now, I'm not trying to just pick a
fight but I'm afraid this might be interpreted as doing just that. Keep in
mind, that none of my comments, observations, or suggestions come with
emotion attached to them. I'm not upset or hurt or trying to make anyone
else feel that way. I'm simply trying to get a better understanding of what
it means to be OSM and hopefully help with improving the experience for
others. With all that said, here we go....

If the Import group trumps the Import-US group, then shouldn't the base
guidelines, or "laws", from the Import police be the first thing covered by
the Import-US neighborhood watch team? Again, looking at the Import OSM
wiki page, I don't have a sense that that is what is happening. It's a
mashup at best. Nothing is defined as "These rules from Import are the
baseline" along with the regional add-on rules. I can truly appreciate the
level of frustration that has come with this very convoluted guideline
system. The differences by region in access to good, free, publicly
available data is surely the driving force behind having such differing
opinions concerning any import. Second, of course, to don't screw anything
up. However, with all that being said, I thought that local communities
were drivers in determining which data they wanted for their communities'
maps. I understand this isn't a free for all and you can't just do what you
want, but there has to be some kind of baseline, unified, global opinion of
what OSM wants to help guide communities, knowing that unique situations
will always exist. That's the starting point since that is what will govern
everything else, including any efforts done through Import-US. Your email
just makes it seem like there is no dialog present addressing this so how
can anything within OSM be governed at all?

I watched your video when you posted it some time ago and even tried to
discuss it with you. You mentioned in the video on a slide as well as here
that you are interested in creating a more welcoming community for OSM, but
you've blocked most questions and concerns I have had that actually deal
with that. Is the push back coming from Import? Import-US? Or just you?
I've made several efforts to reach out so who is it that Import-US actually
wants to welcome if not me? Sorry, I have to ask at this point.

You are doing a good thing, Serge, by recognizing that there needed to be
more acceptance of the unique offerings we have in the States when it comes
to access to geospatial data. From what I can tell, you have moved "import"
from being taboo, to just a dirty word that makes certain people cringe a
bit when they hear it. Yes, that *is* progress. Kudos to you and your team!
But in my experience with OSM, there seems to be another dirty word called
"GIS" which often goes hand in hand with "import". It was mentioned by
someone else that OSM cares more about the people than the data. Well,
"GIS" is the people and "import" is the data. If you are going to change
people's perception of imports, you have to also change their perception of
GIS. We have the data, the skills, and just the right level of geekitude
that could make for a powerful OSM ally. The fact that you have brought up
on many occasions that GIS folk couldn't possibly understand how perform
high level geospatial problem solving is quite frankly more than a little
insulting. It's confusing that this connection between imports and GIS is
mostly ignored or avoided. So we have some work to do here, together.

Having a landing page that is welcoming is a great idea but, again, if the
meat behind the message isn't there, you're not going to fix the problem.
If I understand you correctly, it seems like you and Alex are ready to
start taking on the meat which may involve the larger governing bodies of
OSM. It seems like the time is ripe for that discussion. Let me know if I
can contribute and help.

-Carol

Carol Kraemer
North River Geographic Systems, Inc