[Imports-us] OSM US Import Document Draft

Randal Hale rjhale at northrivergeographic.com
Tue Nov 5 02:39:45 UTC 2013

So I guess a question would be where do GIS people go with their GIS
issues in OSM? Talk-us, imports, imports-us, or the new diversity list
we just discovered? Do we belong on the imports list or do we need to
get shuffled off somewhere to be weird, do our secret handshake thing,
say spatial join instead of conflation, and then show up here? Does the
imports list just handle GIS Data? There's a lot of work being done here
to import data - I assume it's all GIS Data.

There's a growing number of us who see the value in OSM - and we have
data/blood to contribute. Not all of our data by any stretch but enough
maybe to where we start a list of "things that are good" and a list of
"things that are bad" and we interact with other GIS people before they
get here. Not that I'm advocating a separate environment ( ala
http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/Shelbyville) but maybe we need to do some
pre-planning before we show up on the imports list.  Maybe we hash out a
lot of problems with GIS data before we ever get here (like "is this a
sustainable import" or a "Did you run topology on this dataset?"). Maybe
we could stop a lot of insanity like overlapping city/county boundaries
and point out how the data is good and bad from an OSM/GIS
aspect.....which probably would have stopped the ATHOSM Beer and Mapping
event a few weeks ago since we didn't do our planning.

Well - I guess I just described a separate environment/communal setting.
We don't want to be a problem - but we've got a reason to be here and we
seem to be a struggling point (and apparently have been for some time).
The whole discussion started out about community - Brian just hit it
again and it keeps coming up. Maybe we are the community.

Randy
<http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/Shelbyville>

Randal Hale, GISP
North River Geographic Systems, Inc