[Imports-us] OSM US Import Document Draft

Jason Remillard remillard.jason at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 03:04:07 UTC 2013

Hi Randal,

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 9:39 PM, Randal Hale
<rjhale at northrivergeographic.com> wrote:
> So I guess a question would be where do GIS people go with their GIS issues
> in OSM? Talk-us, imports, imports-us, or the new diversity list we just
> discovered? Do we belong on the imports list or do we need to get shuffled
> off somewhere to be weird, do our secret handshake thing, say spatial join
> instead of conflation, and then show up here? Does the imports list just
> handle GIS Data? There's a lot of work being done here to import data - I
> assume it's all GIS Data.

There are many variations possible. As an outline of the process, I
would suggest the following for US imports.

1. Tell us what data you think you would like to import on talk-us. We
can talk about the license and if we want it in. If you feel like it,
also cross post to to imports, and imports-us, or show up to one of
the import meetings. Be careful to state that you are just considering
doing an import....

2. Either go do a bunch of normal mapping to get into the groove, or
ask for help. If you feel like it, also post your progress to imports,
imports-us, or show up to one of the import meetings. This step is
needed to understand the tags and data model. It is not about getting
GIS experience, its just learning how stuff is done in OSM.

3. Put your data in the wiki catalog, setup a wiki project page,
figure out the tags, conflation, how you are going to upload,etc (this
is required).  If you feel like it, also post your progress to
imports, imports-us, or show up to one of the import meetings.

4. process the data, post data and wiki page to imports list (this is
required). If you feel like it, also post your progress to imports-us,
or show up to one of the import meetings.

5. get feedback, from 4. Fix issues, and go back to step 4 or give up.

6. Do the upload,

etc.