[Imports-us] Request from OSM US Import Committee

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 18:29:49 UTC 2013

Darrell,

The US board has given us the impression that it is very concerned
about the state of the documentation around imports, so we've begun
looking at what can be done to fix the situation.

I proposed documentation to go on the OSM US website on the request of
Martijn (the president) and then Alex, I suppose, has decided against
it (based on his comments on this mailing list).

Last week, Jason spent time rewording the imports page on the wiki in
order to clarify it, and Alex has also proposed new language for that
page.

In this week's meeting, Paul discussed the issue of there being no
current central import catalog by which we can see what imports have
been done, or proposed. Having this would help us understand the data
that's currently present, as well as reference or learn from past
decisions.

To do this, he proposed that the import catalog wiki page be similar
to the iOS page in that the data is collected automatically and the
page is constructed.

That is doable, but require modifying the existing import pages, which
is quite a bit of work.

So I'm making a request to this group for volunteers, and then we
discussed, if no volunteers could be found, we'd ask OSM US for help
in this, as this would further an end that they have indicated they
want, which is improved documentation around imports.

- Serge