[Imports-us] Union County Georgia Building Footprints

Randal Hale rjhale at northrivergeographic.com
Sat Nov 30 17:23:59 UTC 2013

Union County Georgia made their buildings (as well as roads) accessible
through a public domain license - they've asked myself (rjhale1971) and
Carol (geocak) to upload them into OpenStreetMap.

So far:

  * I added a row to the import catalog - but it appears to have
    disappeared - so here is the page:
    http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Data_Import_for_Union_County_Georgia
    . I'll add it back to the catalog.
  * The building footprint data came with addresses that had already
    been spatially joined (conflated) - so each building has an address
    consisting of housenumber, streetname, city, and zipcode.
  * Buildings had been categorized (churches, commercial, houses, mobile
    homes, accessory) by the GIS department and I moved that to match
    OSM tags.
  * There are about 27000 building foot prints so I've divided the
    county into a grid. Data will be uploaded and checked by grid - some
    buildings do intersect the grid but it's a very rural area.
      o This isn't a scripted import. Each grid will be checked in JOSM
        and validated before it's uploaded.
      o I pulled Churches and Schools out to add an amenity tag to
        those. There are less than 70 polygons - they will be uploaded
        outside of the grid method I've devised.
      o We will be checking addresses against the highway name in OSM.
  * Finally - I'll be encouraging the Union County GIS department to
    interact with OSM more - they've expressed an interest in doing more
    with it - as have other counties in the area. So I hope this is
    spurs their involvement. I'm not encouraging them to upload - but to
    edit and work with the map.
  * Both Carol and myself will have a separate import account (in the
    process of making that - It will most likely be rjhale1971_import
    and geocak_import.

I would like to do a small upload to check everything at some point this
weekend - I expect the entire process to take a week or more if I don't
run into problems. If I do I stop and re-evaluate.

Randy

--
Randal Hale, GISP
423.653.3611 rjhale at northrivergeographic.com