[Imports-us] Union County Georgia Building Footprints

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Sat Nov 30 23:29:15 UTC 2013

Randal,

Thanks for making this page and engaging in the import process.

Regarding the license, in the United States, only the Federal government
can place something in the Public Domain (it's a very specific term that
has legal meaning), so if their intent is to make the data as public as
possible, then I suggest that they place the data under a CC0 license (or
some other very permissive license), or if they can't do that, there's a
process by which they can donate the data to OSM.  We need a document
showing that the license is OSM compatible, and that's tricky. Even if the
license were the same as OSM is now (ODbL), then there are issues because
OSM itself may change licenses in the future (in fact, it's nearly
guaranteed to do so at some point, if only to upgrade to a new ODbL).

In addition, as has already been discussed by others- we need to see the
actual data in its original form to evaluate it- and of course we'd like
ideally, to have the conversion script used to convert the data from its
upstream format (presumably Shapefile) to the OSM form. In absence of that,
though, the original data and the .osm files.

Thanks,

- Serge