[Imports-us] Union County Georgia Building Footprints

Jason Remillard remillard.jason at gmail.com
Sat Nov 30 23:38:03 UTC 2013

Hi Serge,

On Sat, Nov 30, 2013 at 6:29 PM, Serge Wroclawski <emacsen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Randal,
>
> Thanks for making this page and engaging in the import process.
>
> Regarding the license, in the United States, only the Federal government can
> place something in the Public Domain (it's a very specific term that has
> legal meaning), so if their intent is to make the data as public as
> possible, then I suggest that they place the data under a CC0 license (or
> some other very permissive license), or if they can't do that, there's a
> process by which they can donate the data to OSM.  We need a document
> showing that the license is OSM compatible, and that's tricky. Even if the
> license were the same as OSM is now (ODbL), then there are issues because
> OSM itself may change licenses in the future (in fact, it's nearly
> guaranteed to do so at some point, if only to upgrade to a new ODbL).

Assuming they own the copyright on the data, they are allowed to give
up those rights and release the data into the public domain.

http://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/public-domain/welcome/

This is not true in other places outside the US.

> In addition, as has already been discussed by others- we need to see the
> actual data in its original form to evaluate it- and of course we'd like
> ideally, to have the conversion script used to convert the data from its
> upstream format (presumably Shapefile) to the OSM form. In absence of that,
> though, the original data and the .osm files.

I agree, Randal, when you are ready post some osm files for review. No
need to upload it to do the review.

Thanks
Jason