[Imports-us] [Talk-us] Baltimore County GIS Data is now public domain

Elliott Plack elliott.plack at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 18:15:53 UTC 2013

Maryland has a pretty broad public data law as well. I have not read it
entirely, but it does appear this kind of release would be covered. I spoke
with my program manager on the matter, and he is taking a *wait and
see* approach
to the license situation. Baltimore County wants to protect itself from
liability. It is no longer interested in any direct economic benefits of
providing (selling) the data, but rather the wider scale benefits. If the
county gets requests about the license or copyright like have been raised,
he can take it to our law office and get a decision.

Therefore I encourage the community to send inquiries about the nature of
the ownership to my program manager and cc me. That will help me convince
the department that taking a firm stance on the license is important to the
community. Send inquiries to gis at baltimorecountymd.gov and cc me
eplack at baltimorecountymd.gov

Thanks again,

Elliott

PS: I thank Serge and the Imports US group for having me on the hangout.

Elliott Plack
http://about.me/elliottp