[Imports-us] Importing NOAA National Marine Sanctuaries

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Sat Sep 7 23:59:30 UTC 2013

On Sat, Sep 7, 2013 at 4:47 PM, Jason Remillard
<remillard.jason at gmail.com>wrote:

> In the particular case of water boundaries, I case see several actual use
> cases:
> 1. Marine sanctuaries often don't allow personal watercraft. An OSM user
> could use the map to stay outside of the boundaries.
> 2. Zero-discharge areas don't allow activities one would ordinarily
> consider harmless, such as washing one's sailboat. An OpenSeaMap user could
> sail outside of the boundary in that case.
> 3. The display of the NOAA Sanctuaries boundaries on OpenSeaMap (at least,
> if not also on OpenStreetMaps) can help educate the public on the extent of
> protected ocean areas. In the particular area we're interested in, nature
> reserves are already marked on land -
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=10/37.7637/-122.5903
>
> Based on these reasons, I think it would be useful to import the NOAA
> Marine Sanctuaries data into OSM.

I'm in favor of adding marine boundaries. While we can't see them, with gps
we can be aware of them.  I know a handful of sailors in the Puget Sound
area that could benefit from having this data. It's also worthwhile to have
these boundaries in OSM since these are restricted waters.

--
Clifford

OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch