[Imports-us] Importing NOAA National Marine Sanctuaries

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 00:09:29 UTC 2013

On Sat, Sep 7, 2013 at 6:59 PM, Clifford Snow <clifford at snowandsnow.us>wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 7, 2013 at 4:47 PM, Jason Remillard <remillard.jason at gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
>> In the particular case of water boundaries, I case see several actual use
>> cases:
>> 1. Marine sanctuaries often don't allow personal watercraft. An OSM user
>> could use the map to stay outside of the boundaries.
>> 2. Zero-discharge areas don't allow activities one would ordinarily
>> consider harmless, such as washing one's sailboat. An OpenSeaMap user could
>> sail outside of the boundary in that case.
>> 3. The display of the NOAA Sanctuaries boundaries on OpenSeaMap (at
>> least, if not also on OpenStreetMaps) can help educate the public on the
>> extent of protected ocean areas. In the particular area we're interested
>> in, nature reserves are already marked on land -
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=10/37.7637/-122.5903
>>
>> Based on these reasons, I think it would be useful to import the NOAA
>> Marine Sanctuaries data into OSM.
>>

> I'm in favor of adding marine boundaries. While we can't see them, with
> gps we can be aware of them.  I know a handful of sailors in the Puget
> Sound area that could benefit from having this data. It's also worthwhile
> to have these boundaries in OSM since these are restricted waters.

These are all great reasons to link to these boundary datasets and maybe
have mkgmap include them when building .img files. They still don't belong
in OSM.

We've had this thread several times before. Other than the NPS folks
helping maintain some of their borders I don't see anyone else maintaining
boundaries or borders and they're just sitting around slowly getting
deleted or more-broken.