[Imports-us] Import address points for Kokomo, IN

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Tue Apr 29 14:28:02 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 6:21 AM, Eric Jiang <eric at doublemap.com> wrote:

> I am hoping to get guidance from this list on the details of the
> import process, although if this type of data won't be good for
> inclusion into OSM, then there's no need to go that far.

To me, address data is of great value if for no other reason than routing.
Having the data in OSM allows for the community to continually update and
improve the data. From my own limited experience working with address data,
it obvious that government data is far from perfect.  Addresses don't match
streets and often do not have the granularity that is needed. As the
community improves the data, door to door routing will be practical. I
realize for this to happen in the US we will need to grow the community,
but shouldn't that be our goal?

> For data validation specifically, I was planning on importing chunks
> of the data into JOSM and checking things there, and possibly do some
> manual surveying if there are problematic areas (or just drop those
> areas). Again, any suggestions welcome.

Breaking the data into reasonable sized chunks is smart. You can use
neighborhoods or voting precincts to break up the data.   Paul Norman
showed me the map paint styles available in JOSM. He created a set for our
King County address import. You can find a copy at
http://kingcountyimport.s3-website-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/kingcounty.mapcss.
I also use https://github.com/simon04/coloured-addresses.mapcss. Because
the node is a parcel centroid, I would check to make sure the node is over
the building.

Before you do all of this, randomly pick some addresses and make sure that
the data and your scripts are good. When we did Seattle, we found that the
Seattle addresses were problematic. They included every possible address.
For example, a corner house would have two addresses. We ended up using the
counties E911 address database.

Lastly, once you have the data in, the OSM Inspector now has enabled
address checking for the world. It is a great tool to find problems you
didn't uncover first.

Good luck,
Clifford
--